Written by Tim Seeley
Tuesday, 29 May 2007 00:59
Written by Hall Blankenship
Jerry Wellman, ARRL Section Emergency Coordinator for Utah and Gary Hayes of the Salt Lake Red Cross Chapter House have put together a process for ARES members to obtain Red Cross ID badges, good for one calendar year. Here is the process for Davis County ARES members:
"Record the time and date you completed the course and note to yourself"
- YOU MUST BE A LICENSED AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR
- YOU MUST BE WILLING TO RESPOND TO EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS CALLOUTS IF PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY ABLE IF IT PLACES NO UNDUE PHYSICAL OR ECONOMIC BURDEN ON YOU OR YOUR FAMILY
- ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN DAVIS COUNTY ARES EVENTS AND NETS IS STRONGLY DESIRED OF PARTICIPANTS
- YOU MUST ATTEND THE STATE EC MEETING, Thursday, January 19th, starting at 5:30 PM at the State of Utah in the auditorium on the first floor (NOT IN THE USUAL EOC meeting location) of the State Office Building immediately north of the Capitol building. PARKING IS LIMITED! The legislature is in session so come prepared to walk from the nearby neighborhood if you can't get into the parking lot on the East side of that building. Hopefully the lot will begin to clear about 4:30. Carpool if you can.
Gary will be taking ID photos and making up the badges there for as long as they can hold the room. Some of us may have to adjourn to the EOC if the time is exceeded. Gerry hopes to get the folks from the areas furthest away first (i.e.. Cache County, Utah County, etc.).
- YOU MUST ALSO DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Register with the Red Cross using the link provided below using the following instructions:
- "give info as you can 'you know name, rank, serial number'"
- in the box (line 6) where it requests professional licenses please list 'amateur / communications'
- where it requests previous experiences (line 7) Please enter " Referred by Gary Hayes for Emer. Comm" -- this will help keep communications ID's together
- As for classes the class "Introduction to Disaster Services Training" can be completed at: http://www.redcross.org/donate/volunteer/
This will take you to a volunteer overview page from which you can take the required orientation course titled "Introduction to Disaster Services Training" The actual class site is given at the bottom of that page and can be accessed directly by: http://www.redcross.org/flash/course01_v01/
Thanks for your interest and participation in Davis County ARES
73 de Hall, KC7RAF
ARES EC for Davis County
Last Updated on Thursday, 15 April 2010 08:04